Now that I'm getting older I have decided to make a permanent home for my telescope. As having to lug my heavy Meade 10" Schmit Newtonian out side every time I use it is not going to get any easier in the future.

So here I'll be blogging all the trials, tribulations, successes and failures (of which there will be many I'm sure) of building an astronomical observatory from scratch.

Saturday, January 28, 2012

A New Dimension

My original plan was for a 2.5x 2.5m area, but after looking around today for timber/ fence panels getting this size could but a problem. 1.8m x1.5m fence panels I thought would do the job, but alas  no that is just a little tight for space, as you can see from the pic below. 
It's not until I set the scope up in the test area here, (made up from the Norbord left over by the builders), that I realized the Dimensions I'm going to need. 
2.3 x 2.3m is the bare minimum  2.5x 2.3m would give a little more space for comfortable viewing.




 As you can see 1.8x1.8 is ideal for storing the scope but useless for observing unless I go fully automated remotely from the shed.
I'm seriously considering constructing the observatory from Norboard / Stering Board, as I left three pieces of the stuff out in the garden since November in rain, snow and frost and it has not blown or warped one bit, so with a little wood treatment added it should last for a far while. With the added bonus that it's relatively light and cheep. 
Now its time to draw up the  up the plans and price the materials, not done any TD since I left school hope I can still remember how to do it! 
Plan, Front elevation, Side elevation and Top elevation.... Wasn't it???

No comments:

Post a Comment