Now that I'm getting older I have decided to make a permanent home for my telescope. As having to lug my heavy Meade 10" Schmit Newtonian out side every time I use it is not going to get any easier in the future.
So here I'll be blogging all the trials, tribulations, successes and failures (of which there will be many I'm sure) of building an astronomical observatory from scratch.
Monday, September 28, 2015
Wednesday, November 28, 2012
Saturday, September 22, 2012
Been doing a bit of Solar observing too today.
I think you'll agree that the observatory is looking good in the early autumn sunshine and not to out of place in the garden.
As I said I made a few improvements, the other night I found my eyepieces were dewing up allot so I decided to make a heated eye piece holder, from a spare vivarium heater and some wood offcuts I had lieing around.
First I nailed the heater to a blank of wood, being careful not to hit the elements which formed the base.
I then built a box around the base making a hole for the wire exit the box.
Clear skies people.
Wednesday, April 18, 2012
Where as the fourth I remove
completely along with cross member which is attached to it. The cross member holds down the felt overlap at the apex and is held in place by secondary edging on the opposite site.
Here's a couple of pics of the cross member in place.
Monday, April 9, 2012
Saturday, April 7, 2012
Saturday, March 31, 2012
Here's the final piece of mechanics, and it works really well if I do say so myself! This locks the roof nice and tightly to the central truss and will stop it blowing open in a hooley. Only three more sections to go and then it's felting and weather proofing time.
Another day or two should see the project completed. HOPEFULLY!