Now that I'm getting older I have decided to make a permanent home for my telescope. As having to lug my heavy Meade 10" Schmit Newtonian out side every time I use it is not going to get any easier in the future.

So here I'll be blogging all the trials, tribulations, successes and failures (of which there will be many I'm sure) of building an astronomical observatory from scratch.

Monday, April 9, 2012

The End is Nigh

Hi folk, well the end is in sight, I got allot more done today (Easter Bank Holiday Monday) than I thought I would. As foolish as I am I listened to the weather man, I should know better, heavy rain was forecast so I decided to have a lie in. When I surfaced at about 10:30 the Sun was shining and the sky was blue, so it was out to the observatory to do a little more.

Here's Hazel fashioning the Fochabers Observatory



Felting the roof is so much easier when it opens up as you can do the apex from inside. 
Mind you I new it was going to be touch and go whether I had enough felt due to the modifications I've made, I was short by 300mm a quick dash to B&Q was in order as rain clouds started to gather. It'll be fine I thought and set off for Elgin. As I got to B&Q's car park the heavens opened and my heart sank with the thought of half the roof being ruined by the rain. 
When I got home though.......


.....What, No rain?



The rain stayed off long enough for the project to be completed, 
Not bad huh?



 Feeling very happy with the out come of this build, every thing seems to be working as planned even the weather proofing. Just after I finished we had a sudden storm of hail and driving rain, everything inside stayed as dry as could be, Smug mode again!


I have just a few thing to tidy up now but that can be done as and when.
If you have any question about my design feel free to leave a comment and I'll get back to you.

I'll apologies now for all the cloud that we'll have for the next six months due to me having a new piece of equipment!

Clear skies everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment