Now that I'm getting older I have decided to make a permanent home for my telescope. As having to lug my heavy Meade 10" Schmit Newtonian out side every time I use it is not going to get any easier in the future.

So here I'll be blogging all the trials, tribulations, successes and failures (of which there will be many I'm sure) of building an astronomical observatory from scratch.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The finishing touches


I had one of my brain waves about tidying up the edges of the felt. obviously I could not fix it to sides as that would mean it would not open.




So this was solution, I fitted 6mm  bolts through the original edging, made up a secondary edging to cover the opening part of the felt which is then held on by wing nuts.


This make opening the roof nice and easy, by undoing the wing nut....
 .....and folding back the edging, while leaving the original edging in place.

Three of the trims just hang on the second bolt/ wing nut.

Where as the fourth I remove
 completely along with cross member which is attached to it. The cross member holds down the felt overlap at the apex and is held in place by secondary edging on the opposite site. 
 Here's a couple of pics of the cross member in place.

and here it is being removed.




All there is then left to do is to undo the four retaining clamps inside and I'm ready to align the scope.

It only took me four minutes to open the observatory last night (including taking the photos), Which is much better than the 20 minutes that it used to take me to set up before. Happy Days!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you have been having as much fun as I had building my observatory. Excellent construction pics. Please have a look at mine too.

    http://www.malcsastro.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you have been having as much fun as I had building my observatory. Excellent construction pics. Please have a look at mine too.

    http://www.malcsastro.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete