Now that I'm getting older I have decided to make a permanent home for my telescope. As having to lug my heavy Meade 10" Schmit Newtonian out side every time I use it is not going to get any easier in the future.

So here I'll be blogging all the trials, tribulations, successes and failures (of which there will be many I'm sure) of building an astronomical observatory from scratch.

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Send for reinforcements

Had a very busy and productive day today, after a week long  think about the observatory I decided to reinforce it from the outside as you can see from these pictures.





I fixed a piece of 2.7Mx34mmx34mm wood to the concrete base then four 1.5M uprights on each corner and then another cross piece at the top. This frame will support the weight of  the roof and lower the stress on the frame of the observatory.
(Teri, there's no point trying to hide)



Time to put the roof back on for the final squaring of the building.




Screwing around again!




RIGHT! So what the hell am I going to do with this roof now?


Here's how the roof is opened and closed, you can see that the load is spread between the front and side panels. I needed to strengthen the roof at the hinge point as it's not as strong as the Norboard and will need to do the same where the hinges are screwed to the roof.



Here's the final piece of mechanics, and it works really well if I do say so myself! This locks the roof nice and tightly to the central truss and will stop it blowing open in a hooley. Only three more sections to go and then it's felting and weather proofing time.
Another day or two should see the project completed. HOPEFULLY!



No comments:

Post a Comment