Now that I'm getting older I have decided to make a permanent home for my telescope. As having to lug my heavy Meade 10" Schmit Newtonian out side every time I use it is not going to get any easier in the future.

So here I'll be blogging all the trials, tribulations, successes and failures (of which there will be many I'm sure) of building an astronomical observatory from scratch.

Friday, March 23, 2012

First Light

Last night allowed me to test my pier out for the first time and I must say it preformed better than I could have wished for. I had worries about vibration transfer after asking for advise on the Stargazers Lounge forum, where I was told that vibrations would transfer through the floor up the pier to the scope. B****cks  I can kick the pier and any vibration settles down within five seconds. This all-in one concrete floor/pier design works!



Don't just take my word for it here is the test photo I took of M81/ 82, a 50 second image unguided as I walked around the scope.Where's the vibration? I know there is allot of noise in this photo, it is just a test shoot as I stated but it made me very happy to have detail in M82 without having to use Registax.


No comments:

Post a Comment