Now that I'm getting older I have decided to make a permanent home for my telescope. As having to lug my heavy Meade 10" Schmit Newtonian out side every time I use it is not going to get any easier in the future.

So here I'll be blogging all the trials, tribulations, successes and failures (of which there will be many I'm sure) of building an astronomical observatory from scratch.

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Phase 2


 It was a nice day here today, far to good a day to waste, so I set about laying the base of the observatory. 
As you can see I dared to take the shuttering away from the concrete base and low and behold it didn't crumble away, that was a bonus. Plus the dimensions are good to and there is little movement it the four floor panels too so the base must be level, PHEW!







I made a slight modification to the floor panels to allow the pier to come through, was worried that this would weaken the panels but no, the structural integrity held. 


I treated the base and the rest of the panels to a coat of cuprinol to protect them from the harsh Scottish weather. Here's hoping for some more good weather next weekend for a bit of construction work.




No comments:

Post a Comment