Now that I'm getting older I have decided to make a permanent home for my telescope. As having to lug my heavy Meade 10" Schmit Newtonian out side every time I use it is not going to get any easier in the future.

So here I'll be blogging all the trials, tribulations, successes and failures (of which there will be many I'm sure) of building an astronomical observatory from scratch.

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Phase 2 Part2

Things are really taking shape now after spending the whole day in the garden putting the observatory together. I was very pleased at the ease of this construction, from this.......







..... to this in less than an hour,.

By 3pm I was ready to try the scope on the mount..


 Not a bad fit if I say so myself!



The rest of these photos were taken by Hazel, my eight year old daughter, she was clicking away on my Cannon EOS 300D like David Bailey. I think this gives a nice childs eye perspective on this build and the world!


My Meade LXD 55 fit's just nice into here when it's parked in the Polar home position, but the jury is still out on what I'm going to do with the roof. At the moment I'm thinking of using corrugated plastic  sheet/sheets for the roof co cut down on the weight. I know this will mean reenforcing the body of the observatory but that was always in the plan.






Here's me in DEEP THOUGHT trying to work how to keep the doors closed.



 Here's me do my ZAPHOD BEETLEBROX  impression, just before the other head pops out.
 A childs eye sees the world so differently!


 A few more minor adjustments and ..........





.......WHAAAALLLLAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!    the finished article ! (well almost)


This is going to work! As you can see I'm feeling fairly pleased with myself as this is going just to good, the few weeks of planning is starting to pay off  :-)





Once again a BIG Thank you to my wife for the help and advise, and to Hazel for taking such fantastic photos.







No comments:

Post a Comment