Now that I'm getting older I have decided to make a permanent home for my telescope. As having to lug my heavy Meade 10" Schmit Newtonian out side every time I use it is not going to get any easier in the future.

So here I'll be blogging all the trials, tribulations, successes and failures (of which there will be many I'm sure) of building an astronomical observatory from scratch.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Phase One Completed

Phase one of the observatory is now complete, just could not help myself tonight when I got home just had to see what the set up looked like. I must say I like it!!!! 
I know a few people in the SGL were worried about vibration transferring through the floor and up the pier, those  fears can now be put to bed. I aim the scope at a near by church steeple and then stamped  my feet on the base, not an iota of a shake was seen. My plan worked well. (Smug mode). 

It looks like a professionally made mount, not bad for a £28 soil pipe, £4 of M10 threaded bar, a scrap brake disc and a bit of concrete (OK allot of concrete). It is a solid as a rock too, there is no slop in bar or mount at all.

I will be looking forward to a clear night or two now so I'll be able to test my new rig, so if we have cloud for the next two months it will be my fault for having something new to play with, all you astronomers know the score on the new equipment clear night paradox!

This weekend will be time to plan the erecting of the shed, really must start calling it the observatory not a shed! Got some real planning to do with regards to the opening of the roof now.

1 comment: